The RSH-4 was a soviet gas mask. It wsa put in service in 1958 and remained in use until the collapse of CCCP and even sees use with Russia. The RSH-4 - РШ-4 Развернутая шихта тип 4 means Expanded Cartridge/filter type 4 (this was because of the filter’s design).
The RSH-4 kit contains following items:Edit
- SHM-41mu/SHMS/MM-1 face pieces
- IPP-8/IPP-51/IPP-1 decontamination kits
- Bag designated Type A (Тип-А)
- Filter EO-16
- Filter PAF
- Insulating lenses for SHM-41mu
- Anti fog inserts(there are two diameters since kit can be completed with three different masks) 59mm diameter for SHM-41mu and MM-1/ 44mm diameter for SHMS.
- Spare membranes type MM-1 and Type SHMS(membranes made for these two masks are same in size but soviets still designated them differently)
- Simple Soviet hose covered by cloth.
The SHM-41mu(see article for ShM-41) is an upgrade from SHM-41m, it features thicker valve assembly and a ridge/depression around it. Its just a regular helmet mask nothing inside just like SHM-62, Here are the pictures of it:
IPP-8 is a decontamination kit(see the article for it IPP-8)IPP-51 is a predecessor to IPP-8(no article for it yet).
IPP-1 is emergency bandages, it was used by both civilians and military.
Type A bagEdit
Type A bag is a cheeply made Soviet gas mask bag, as usual comes with a wasit strap, a side pocket for IPP-8/IPP-51. Inside of the bag you have two main compartments, for the mask, the filter compartment which features two wooden sticks on the bottom to keep a good airflow for the filter and a special string to pull so it tightens up the compartment of the filter so it doesn't jump around. It also has compartment for the hose and a small inner pocket for antifog inserts/membranes.
Filter designated EO-16 is a big dimensions filter that is obviously used with hoses, it has a 40mm port on the bottom to attach PAF filter which is for added particle protection.dimensions of the EO-16 17.5 × 10.7 cm. The filter of course features typical bumps/rings for protection against physical damage. The rubber plug like on most of other Soviet big dimension filters have small rope attached to the plug so it wont get lost.